10. Making the right to housing a reality
In addition to agricultural reforms and the distribution of land, the Awami Workers Party will also take steps to provide housing to all working class households in both cities and rural areas.
- Recognising the constitutional right to shelter, housing schemes will be established in all cities and town on a large scale in which low-income earning and homeless citizens will be given a plot of land and interest-free loans to build a home. 5% of the national budget will be allocated towards housing.
- Public housing projects will be based on the principle of incremental housing based on shared housing production by the state and citizenry, with ownership rights granted on the basis of fair, consensual stipulations.
- All residents of katchi abadi informal settlement will be given land ownership rights and basic municipal services will be provided to them.
- Legislation will be made to regulate the use of land in cities, with the aim of ending the non-productive use of land, especially the uncontrolled speculative trading of land in the form of “real estate”.
- At least 25% of the area in all new housing schemes will be allocated for low-income earning citizens.